Tuesday, January 10, 2017

There is something healing about the word Content

I just read an article by Holley Gerth titled, "What's your one word for 2017?" Her one word for this New Year is "content." Like many, I have never thought much about the word content but the more I read her article and her reference to it in Php. 4:11, where Paul in the Bible said, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."

Two things struck me as I read this; Paul had to learn to be content. What does that mean to you and me? It means that being content doesn't come naturally to we humans. As Holley Gerth goes on to say, what does come easy to her and others is "striving, anxiety and fear."

In Ps. 131:2, we read, "I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content." One way you and I can keep track of how God takes care of us is what Holley is doing; "writing a quick, simple gratitude journal entry every morning abut the day before."

Yesterday was the first day writing in my journal my gratitude that I have for God helping me. For example, yesterday I had a trying and stressful day at the hospital. Got a Cat Scan and blood test. It turned out to be much more--stressful and challenging. Came home and later wrote in my journal what happened and then wrote more about it today. God was with me every step of the way and brought me through it all.

And, I learned a great day about what to do and what not to do the next time. Most of all, I learned the importance of asking questions and not stopping until I get the answers I need.

So, before life presents a trying time to you and even afterwards, practice being content in all that you do. You will find, like I did, the peace and comfort that comes from being content. And, always remember, no matter what happens, God is with you and He loves you more than you can imagine.

Copyright Toni Star 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message if you like...